ProbateAfter a death, it’s important to those left behind that the assets and liabilities are administered speedily and efficiently. We will guide you compassionately through the process and ensure we keep you informed throughout. Whenever you need our service, please call us on 0161 796 7000 or contact us via our online enquiry form and one of our senior solicitors will be pleased to look after the matter for you.
Pricing for Probate MattersPotential clients should be aware that the following pricing details for probate matters are to be treated as guidelines. They do not constitute a binding quotation, as every probate matter is different. We will endeavour to agree our charges with you at the outset of a matter. In some cases, because of the complexity of a matter, or because there are numerous assets or numerous beneficiaries, or even unascertained beneficiaries, we will furnish you with either an estimate or a range of likely fees. If it should transpire that the time costs are likely to exceed the estimate or the range of fees, we will inform you at the earliest opportunity of any increase in fees which will be necessary and will furnish you with a new estimate or a new range of fees. If we are instructed to only apply for a Grant of Representation
- Where the application is straightforward and only entails the completion of an IHT205 (Inheritance Tax – Return of Estate Information), our fees will be £750 plus VAT together with disbursements
If it should also be necessary to complete an IHT217 (Claim for Transfer of Unused Nil Rate Band) our fees will be £850 plus VAT together with disbursements.
- Where it is necessary to complete an IHT400 (Inheritance Tax Account) and supporting schedules, our fees are likely to be between £1,250 plus VAT to £1,750 plus VAT plus disbursements.
We would expect you to provide us with the precise information we require in order that we can draft the appropriate probate forms for you. Once the probate papers have been signed, we will make an application to the Probate Registry. Once the grant of representation has been issued, we will forward it to you, together with as many Court copies as are required. You would then be responsible for dealing with the actual administration of the estate.If we are instructed to deal with the administration of the estate In most cases, we are asked to deal with all the probate work. This includes obtaining the values of assets and liabilities, preparing the probate application and obtaining the grant of representation, dealing with the administration of the estate including payment of all liabilities and taxes, realising, where appropriate, all assets, payment of pecuniary legacies and distributing the residuary estate to the beneficiaries. We will also furnish any necessary Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax advice. Finally, we can also advise on the suitability of a beneficiary signing a Deed of Variation to vary that beneficiary’s legacy under the Will. Please note that unlike many other Solicitors, this firm does not add any SRA (Law Society) mark-up percentage element. This is a fee in excess of the normal time charges. The “mark-up percentage” fee can typically be 1% of the gross value of the estate. For example, the “uplift” on an estate whose value is £1 million, will be £10,000!
- For a straightforward estate with minimal assets and only a few beneficiaries, our firm’s fees are likely to be in the region of £1,250-£2,250 plus VAT plus disbursements.
- If the estate is more complex and, particularly where there is Inheritance Tax to pay, our firm’s fees are likely to be in the region of £3,000-£5,000 plus VAT plus disbursements.
- Estates worth less than £50,000 will pay nothing
- Estates from £50,000 to £300,000 – £ 250
- Estates from £300,000 to £500,000 – £ 750
- Estates from £500,000 to £1 million – £2,500
- Estates from £1 million to £1.6 million – £4,000
- Estates from £1.6 million to £2 million – £5,000
- Estates exceeding £2 million – £6,000